After a two week delay it’s time for another Legion issue. There were a lot of questions last time, so let’s hope that there are some answers this issue. Yeah, I’m not optimistic, either.
Of course, we need to be aware that there will be spoilers, especially things we’ve learned.
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciller: Ryan Sook
Inkers: Wade Von Grawbadger, Ryan Sook
Colorist: Jordie Bellaire
Letterer: Dave Sharpe
In Shops: Dec 18, 2019
It’s been one thousand years since anyone has seen the oceans of the Earth, but with Aquaman’s original trident recently discovered, a chase to control Earth’s future tears across the galaxy. All this and the reunion you’d never thought you’d see! Another DC sci-fi epic into the far-flung future like you’ve never seen before!
The action in this is so well done. Ryan Sook stages the fight very well. It ends rather abruptly, by I sincerely doubt the Horraz are meant to be a major threat for the Legion. The moment that felt like the Legion of old came afterwards when Rose talks about her meeting with the president of the United Planets and when they discuss their next steps after fighting back the Horraz. This feels like the Legion, especially a group just beginning to learn about each other. The staging in the dining hall is excellent as well.
Is it perfect? No, but it’s a fun read, and Bendis really is writing the personalities of the Legionnaires. Ultra Boy is obviously a focus, but it’s a fresh take on a character that historically been the dumb jock or impulsive muscle-head of the Legion. I really like this new take on the character, just wanting to be liked by his fellow Legionnaires. Wildfire is treated as the dangerous hothead, and based on his actions in the first issue, it’s probably appropriate.
I liked it a lot, but I wanted to add a brief list of what we learned this issue.
- The purple Legionnaire with the halo is Phantom Girl. The halo can make portals, apparently.
- Saturn Girl is powerful, but not as precise as she pretends to be.
- The President of the United Planets is an alien woman named Brande. R.J. Brande, I assume.
- Rose Forrest works for the Legion as their liaison to the United Planets.
- Computo apparently helps run and manage the Legion Headquarters
- Saturn Girl doesn’t trust President Brande, and that should scare us.
- The Legion dining hall is called Heaven, and it also serves as a meeting room.
- Timber Wolf’s dad was a wolf.
- Planet Gotham was built by Quayne-Galactic. I assume that is the 31st century successor to Wayne Industries.
- Blok eats blocks of mineral.
Final rating: 9.0 (out of 10)
Image Source: Previewsworld